Sunday, October 11, 2009

Put Some Sauce Onit


bonjour mes amis!

Well bless the Gods! Opening night was a smashing success. We had a blast! We had mad love surrounding us and after months of growing, grunting, and pushing we gave birth to a fierce little heifer named Fedra.

I started my day off at the Four Seasons Spa. I know, I know...Who the hell do I think I am?
Well, sometimes you gotta be good to yourself. I woke up feeling battered and bruised (there's a lot of physical stuff in the show) and decided to treat myself to a mani-pedi. Honestly I set out to get a cheap mani-pedi but...the Four Seasons was calling me. I was like a hype. I'm a slave to the citrus water, the steam room/sauna, the peace room filled with fresh fruit and good conversation.

There was two older ladies there who just tickled me. Southside Irish gals who were celebrating 40 years of friendship. Every year, once a year, they come to the hotel spa for services. Well this year, the staff surprised them with complimentary champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. And they were kind enough to share them with me.

I marveled at their beauty. These were two older women who didn't really need spa services. They had a beauty that you cannot pay for. They looked happy. Radiant. Blessed.

In the short time that I spent with them in the peace room whilst napping after my own service, they told me stories of ex-husbands, children, fathers, the White Sox, the stupid Cubs, segregated Chicago, and how much love they Four Seasons' staff. These two Queens warmed my heart. They were good Chicago Midwestern gals, which I always find refreshing. Their spirit certainly put me in the right mind set. They were free you see. And frankly, I don't always feel that way.

There are days where I'd like to collect my girlfriends, board a jet fly away to some crazy foreign land and laugh and drink until we're blue in the face. Take a few lovers, enjoy the breeze and forget about the real world.

I consider myself a hardworking Chicagoan. There are times, where I admit I feel guilty for shopping or indulging. But hell, life is short and when you're a queen in training sometimes you can't help it.

Opening night was wonderful. My friend and colleague Anthony Fleming held my hand and spoke for me. Needless to say I was overjoyed that we finally made it and didn't want to be some babbling idiot. He gave the pre-show speech and sent his soldiers onto the field.

And you know what? We killed 'em.

Do come and see this play. I have no idea what the critics will say, but I can guarantee that it's anything but pedestrian. You'll never see anything like it.

Book your flight to Haiti now.

Ciao for now kiddies!

http://www.haitianmediaservice.com
http://www.lookingglasstheatre.org

FEDRA QUEEN OF HAITI RUNS UNTIL NOV 15, 2009

No comments: