Sunday, October 18, 2009

Harry Connick and Jimmy Carter Are The Best White Men I know. With Respect & Virtuousity to Thomas Jefferson


Bonjour mes amis!

No particular aim this time. Just woke up and felt like writing.

I was listening to the Tavis Smiley Show this am, and the feature was about the assassination of President Kennedy and how LBJ was kept in the dark about the president's condition at the time of the shooting. Then it happened. David Frost popped into my head.

You've probably gathered from the title of this posting that my mind doesn't always have rhyme and reason. David Frost, the famed host has NOTHING to do with Kennedy or Lydon Baines...but somehow in my pea brain, these 3 white men emerged. After my second cup of coffee too.

I was thinking about how Frost was a "fluff-host" for wacky Aussie TV. No one took him seriously. It was like watching Anderson Cooper host "Ripley's Believe It Or Not". The host was good looking, a lady killer (well, Anderson Cooper is certainly no lady killer), a bit garish in style, and charming. But somehow he got shifted out of his comfort zone of wacky antics to a higher calling. He decided to take on the deposed Richard Nixon.

Frost paid a heavy price for it too. In the end, we know how the west was won. A triumph for one, and well...perhaps a triumph for both? Both men played a dangerous game with cunning and wit. But the gamble for Frost was a huge pay off.

Everyone thought "who the hell does this prick this he is?" But Frost went for it anyway.
I feel that same thing niggling at my brain. I want to take my work from local to national and of course world wide. I have no idea how I'm going to do it. I feel like that goofy kid getting out of the cab in Times Square screaming "I'm here New York! And I'm gonna take a big fucking bite out of you!" And of course some passerby promptly throws a pie in my face.

I'm thrilled that Fedra is doing well. I fret about whether or not patrons will buy tickets to see the play. Of course I want it to be a smashing success critically and box office wise. I feel like this is it. If I don't make this work now, I'm not sure when. I treat every performance like its the last one. I'm so proud of the work that was put into this show by all. So, like Mr. Frost I have to invest even more, throw on some gorgeous Italian shoes and woo some NY producers.

Ciao for now kiddies...



No comments: