Saturday, January 29, 2011

Interpreter of Maladies

Ciao babies,

So I'm sitting here on my balcony getting some work done, and I decided to log on to the Guardian a UK news source...I am a self admitted news junkie. I prefer news from Al-Jezerra, BBC, Democracy Now etc.,  It doesn't make me smarter, I just prefer news sources outside of America for the most part.  Anyway, I came across an article for a story I've been following about the slain gay rights activist David Kato.  He was murdered the other day in his home country of Uganda--bludgeoned to death with a hammer.  His funeral yesterday was marred by angry and hateful words from a so called man of God.  A pastor--the presiding pastor of this service--called on homosexuals to repent or "be punished by God."

David Kato, was assassinated fighting for the lives of African gay men and women.  Then, a pastor pulls a cowardly act.

It took a few minutes for me to wrap my head around what I read.  This man appointed-- trusted by Mr. Kato's family and friends had to witness one final act of hatred at his home going service. The tears are stinging my eyes as I type this.  I might be prone to depression, fits of anger, and other maladies but never hatred.   For the life of me, I cannot comprehend attacking another being--human, animal, plant--except roaches and silver fish. They're fucking gross. Confucius say "Squash them."

I'm not sure what the aim of this post is.  I just know I needed to get it out.  I have many friends who are gay, bi-sexual, lesbian, transgender or gay adjacent.  I am a straight woman, but if given the chance I'd mince Rachel Maddow under the news desk--all jokes aside, it hurts my heart to read these stories.  I take so much for granted, living in West Hollywood where many openly gay people frolic & flourish.  I know once my feelings of anger past, I'll realize that Mr. Kato's life has not ended.  If anything he has ascended--though we divided by continents, those are still my kinsmen.  I pray to God (and not the clergy) that some day we can all truly get along.

I'll fight for you anyway I can David Kato.  They say the pen is mightier than the sword--but I disagree. Sylvester is as mighty as you get.



x

For the article visit The Guardian
http://gu.com/p/2mmdp

No comments: