Friday, September 18, 2009

Fedra Production Week 2


Hi kids!

So it's the second week of rehearsals and man I'm one tired hooker. I been on the stroll trying to get that money!

So to recap, we've gone thru 6 drafts! We've also learned fight choreography, Farsi, French, and in the next coming week technical rehearsals will begin.

This is one of the most terrific and terrifying moments of my life. Twice this week in rehearsals, I've had complete meltdowns...well not complete. But you know, those moments where you fight thru the pain? And god bless my stage manager and director for being so patient and taking good care of me.

Its a delicate balance. Writing and acting in a new play. One of my meltdowns came from the frustration of feeling like a "bad actor". I didn't realise it then, but my process is completely different now. I don't have the luxury of highlighting my lines and running them with my scene partner. I have to be in the room at all times. Even when my character is not on stage. I have to be readily available in case an actor has a question or concern and if Laura has a textual tweak.

So I was feeling like a bad actor, because I couldn't commit the lines to memory. It's harder when you're running on 2-3 hours of sleep and your brain is scattered.
So, I had the inevitable breakdown. Now, I'm no fool. I know there will be plenty more. But I couldn't have made it without Laura Eason's support. Dammit, that woman is amazing.

This posting may suck. But I'm committing to chronicle this experience so that I can look back on it and go "oh, that mountain? Not so bad to climb. I did it in 3 inch heels.

ciao for now kiddies.

2 comments:

Joy said...

Farsi? Is this play going to be in L.A.?

Docta Slick said...

I wish...in Chicago for now....