Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Jesus Loves the Gays, Lepers, Whores. But Does He Love Pot Smokers? Black Christians In Cali Say NO

Hey hey hey! Stop that! Stop throwing tomatoes at me. Before you douse me with Holy Water to exorcise the demon out of me, allow me to expound on my blog title.  Here's a tasty morsel from an article written by Jesse McKinley

California Blacks Split Over Marijuana Measure
July 19, 2010

SACRAMENTO — Ron Allen says he knows all too well the ravages of drug addiction.

“I was a pastor on crack cocaine, sir,” said Mr. Allen, who says he has been sober for 11 years and now identifies himself as the bishop of the International Faith Based Coalition here. “Drugs have no religious preference.”

And while crack cocaine laid him low, Mr. Allen says his first drug of choice was marijuana. So it is that Mr. Allen and a cadre of other black pastors, priests and other religious leaders have bonded together in recent weeks to fight what they see as a potentially devastating blow to their communities: Proposition 19, the California ballot measure that would tax and regulate marijuana.



How black voters in California decide on Proposition 19, which would allow anyone 21 and over to possess up to an ounce of marijuana, could be critical to its success or failure. (At the moment, possession of more than 28.5 grams of marijuana, about an ounce, is punishable in most cases by up to six months in prison and a $500 fine.)

Blacks make up less than 10 percent of the population in California, but unlike two larger minority groups in the state where opinions on the measure are also split — Asians and Latinos — their “participation in elections is on par with their populations,” according to the California Voter Foundation, a nonprofit group here.


Mr. Allen has been particularly critical of Alice A. Huffman, the president of the California branch of the N.A.A.C.P., who has been vocal in her support for the measure, casting it as a potential victory for civil rights that could help reduce the number of young black men jailed on marijuana-related offenses.

“I’m not encouraging anyone to recreationally use marijuana,” said Ms. Huffman. “I am simply focused on the injustice and the disparities in the criminal justice system.”


SPY VS SPY


Kamala D. Harris, the San Francisco district attorney, who is black, joined the opposition last week. Ms. Harris, who is running for state attorney general, issued a statement saying that the proposition would encourage “driving while high” and drugs in the workplace.
*******
Annnnd I've heard enough.
I'm sorry, I have to interject right here.  I've heard on good authority some of the best driving is done while high.

Okay, listen I'm not making light of DUI or DWI. Nor do I advocate such reckless behavior. You're a fucking moron if you get behind a wheel and drive while intoxicated period. But you can best believe, more idiots cause wrecks by yapping on their cell phones and texting compared to those driving while stoned. And for the record if you see an Asian driver texting while operating a vehicle, just pull over on the side of the road and let them pass.

I personally feel that marijana and prostitution should be legal... fiscally that could balance all kinds of deficets not to mention, pot farmers would be local.  And maybe, just MAYBE the blood shed in Northern Mexico with all those cartels will slow down to a dull roar.  I believe in supporting local farmers.  I'm sure Shirley Sherrod would too. Wink. 

Ohh Nic. You silly bitch...of course that will NEVER happen on a federal level...but at least here in California, it should be legalized.  What exactly do they think (they being the black Christians) will happen if this proposition is passed?  Are they afraid that the sheek and low key pot shops will replace the dilapidated liquor stores next to their houses of worship? Or are they are afraid that we'll drive while smoking on our way to church?

I'm being cheeky about it, because it's not a cut and dry situation.  And I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that once again black Christians are once again being blamed for the fall of Saigon.  "They" blocked the gays from getting married, and now they're gonna block pot heads from promenading with their brownies. So much for those 40 acres and a mule.

I grew up in black churches, raised Baptist.  Far be it from me to dictate how one should live their life. I'm not against Christians or any other person's spirituals beliefs (except for those who worship L. Ron Hubbard. Yeah, I said it. Big whoop, wanna fight about it?)  At some point, one has to move past antiquated ways of thinking. Gays, unbaptized babies, and pot heads ain't goin to hell. So before you get to quoting Leviticus, sister Holy Ghost,  your kryptonite against homosexuality, remember the bible also says a few other things are wrong.  Including our pink friends in the sea--the good book says not to eat shrimp. Oh yeah, remember that? But that ain't gone stop you from eating your fried shrimp now is it?
Leviticus 11:9-12
Deuteronomy 14:9-10

I treasure my experience growing up black Christian.  Some days when I'm over whelmed and feel like passing out, I look around to see if the Nurses Board will catch me when I fall.  I'm not well versed in Christianity...but this much I know:  Jesus the Christ loves everyone.  And I'm sure he loves pot smokers.

God hates shrimp. Not Pot Smokers.

Can I get an amen?  And don't forget to pay your tithes.

Ciao for now saints,

x

NEXT BLOG: Essence Magazine has hired a white Fashion Director. efhoafhiu73736fgyaushjfbn; Sorry. I just passed out on my keyboard.  And look the Nurses Board fanning me already. Yay black Christians.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen!

P.S. The Bible also says you can stone adulterous women to death and own slaves. We're able to let go of that stuff in the "modern age," but not homophobia? Explain.

P.P.S. The actual research on Prop 8 voting shows that African Americans were split almost 50/50, and the "almost" was because more were against it (i.e. FOR EQUALITY) than not. However, we can very comfortably blame the Mormons, which brings me full circle. Oy fucking vey.

xo Lotti