Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Roller Skating on Quaaludes


Bonjour mes amis!

As many of you know (okay no one knows, only 3 people have read this blog) I will be moving back to Chicago for 3 months to work on the world premiere play called Fedra. This new work is freely retold by the devastatingly beautiful author J. Nicole Brooks. That girl is so col' :)

All jokes aside, I feel incredibly blessed and am looking forward to working with an amazing cast and crew led by none other than Laura Eason. As my departure date rapidly approaches I often find my mind wandering. Remember that feeling you had on X-Mas morning? Or on the eve of your birthday party and you just knew mama had a troth of hot dogs, balloons, and a sweet sticky cake waiting for you? Well, that's how I feel. Despite my fears and trepidations surrounding the project ("Will it work? Will people like it? Will I be a good actor? Will the Haitian community get ticked? Will tickets sales do well???") I am constantly remind myself that it will all be okay in the end. As a matter of fact, it will surpass anyones expectations. That doesn't come from a place of conceit, rather a holy place, for I have prayed to the Gods and spirits for guidance and protection.

Fedra the title character is an imperfect woman. That statement may sound a bit daft, but it's true. I suppose I've always been attracted to "imperfect" legends. Sinead O'Connor, Bessie Smith, Billy Holiday, Edith Piaf and my sister-woman Grace Jones.

Grace once said that she's looked both God and the Devil in the eye.
Grace has a fantastic temper, and does not believe in anger management.
Grace use to go roller skating on Quaaludes.

All of the aforementioned attributes remind me of Fedra. Grace Jones scares people, and I hope to do the same in my portrayl. Now if you will excuse me, I've got to lace my rollerskates. They're playin my jam....

Pull up to my bumper baby...

For tickets go to www.lookingglasstheatre.org

ciao for now kiddies.





No comments: